Appointments, Faculty and Staff

Moberly Begins Appointment as an Associate Professor 

Effective March 3, Kent Moberly, DMD, began his appointment as an associate professor within the Division of Comprehensive Oral Health.

Moberly’s responsibilities include teaching restorative dentistry, covering predoctoral clinics and seeing Carolina Dentistry patients. As a preceptor in the student clinics he plans on working with the students to refine their diagnostic and critical thinking skills as well as their technical skills to better prepare them for private practice.

“Dr. Moberly is a well-rounded clinician with decades of experience in private practice,” said Division of Comprehensive Oral Health chair, Cristiano Susin, DDS, MS, PhD. “With his interests in interdisciplinary care, treatment planning and restorative dentistry, he will be an incredible asset to our students and residents. We are eager to have him on our team.

He also has an interest in the emerging area of relating oral health to systemic health and working with other health care providers to improve the overall health of patients. In his practice in Seattle, Moberly worked extensively with physical therapist to resolving occlusal issues that were affecting their physical therapy care and recovery.

“I come from a family of educators and found the more I taught the more I enjoyed it,” said Moberly. “I decided several years ago that I wanted to finish my career by having an influence over as many of the next generation of dentists as possible. I felt that the best way would to be to do it in a dental school.

“I was really attracted to the UNC Adams School of Dentistry due to the changes in the curriculum that they are implementing and wanted to be a part of this new and ground breaking venture – even if it meant moving across the country. I feel that my years of experience in private practice will allow me to give a real-world outlook to the students, and also look for new ways to teach the necessary skills in a better and more respectful manner than has been the traditional model of dental education.”

Moberly earned his bachelor’s degree in chemistry from Wake Forest University and his Doctor of Dental Medicine degree from the Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine. He completed a general practice residency at the University of Washington. Prior to joining the UNC Adams School of Dentistry, he taught part-time at the University of Washington and maintained a private practice in Seattle concentrating on complex restorative care and TMJ disorders.

He has been a visiting faculty at the Pankey Institute and has mentored many study clubs across the country. He is a member of the American Dental Association, American Equilibration Society, International College of Dentists, and the Pankey Alumni Association, among others.