Faculty and Staff, Orthodontics

Ko selected as 2015-16 ADEA Leadership Institute Fellow

Dr. Ching-Chang Ko, G. Fred Hale Distinguished Professor in the Department of Orthodontics, has been selected as a fellow in the 2015-16 American Dental Education Association (ADEA) Leadership Institute.

“I am honored to become a fellow of the ADEA Leadership Institute,” said Ko. “I feel my life is running from one wonderful place to another. I am now in the position in which I can learn how to interact with academic leaders, professional colleagues and junior faculty. Warren Bennis said, ‘Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality.’ I appreciate the opportunity of being a fellow to pursue my reality.”

The year-long program is designed to develop the nation’s most promising dental educators to become future leaders in dental and higher education. The program, which has been in existence since 1999 boasts participation for more than 300 faculty and administrators nationwide.

The 2016-17 program will consist of orientation in March 2016, and four phases of workshops from June 2016 until March 2017. Fellows of the program have the opportunity to better understand the inner workings of dental education institutions, learn about policy issues, refine decision making skills and expand their administrative competencies.

Ko earned his DDS in 1984 from the National Yang-Ming Medical University of Taiwan before moving to the U.S. He then earned his master’s in bioengineering in 1989 from the University of Michigan and later his PhD in bioengineering in 1994 from the University of Minnesota. In addition to his role as a distinguished professor, he directs Ko Lab and works on orthodontic biomechanics and bone tissue engineering. Ko has published more than 100 peer-reviewed articles and has filed patents for artificial bone biomaterials and has the copyright of the FJORD model for orthodontic biomechanical simulation through UNC. His research has been funded by Whitaker Foundation, 3M ESPE, N2Bio, NC Biotech Center, American Association of Orthodontics Foundation, American Association of Endodontics Foundation and NIH/NIDCR.