Awards, DDS, Students

D.D.S. Student Carver Named Recipient of NIDCR Summer Dental Student Award

Third-year D.D.S. student Karen Carver was recently selected as one of the 2013 National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR) Summer Dental Student Awards.

“Being selected for a NIDCR Summer Dental Award is a great honor,” said Carver. “This award is competitive, and I’m grateful the selection committee awarded me this opportunity. I’m excited to begin my eight weeks conducting research with my mentor this summer.”

Each year, the Summer Dental Student Award selects a few current dental students each year to gain hands-on research experience and experience with new technologies and dental advances. Students are assigned mentors to assist in their research, and participation may result in presentation or co-authoring of said research findings.

Carver’s research mentor, Dr. Sylvia Frazier-Bowers, associate professor in the Department of Orthodontics, endorsed Carver’s selection with a letter of recommendation.

“Given her extraordinary discipline, intellectual acumen and interest in academics, I thought this fellowship would be perfect for her,” explained Frazier-Bowers. “Part of my motivation to encourage Karen to pursue this was that I received and benefitted from this same opportunity as a student in the 1990s. I’m so pleased that she was selected as a recipient.”