The UNC Adams School of Dentistry in conjunction with the Association for Continuing Dental Education (ACDE), along with 30 of its member schools jointly presents the “ACDE LIVE Webinar Series.”
This series features university-based key opinion leaders presenting numerous topics on multiple dates and times. Presentations are available to meet every dental health care professional’s schedule and interests.
This course is a virtual (1.5) hour course focusing on evidence-based best practices for use of opioids in pain management in the dental office. The course will review the epidemiology, the patterns, and the trends of the opioid epidemic and Substance Use Disorders (SUD) in the US; will discuss the social, financial, and human cost of the opioid epidemic and SUD in the US; and will examine the role of dental professionals and healthcare providers in the current US opioid epidemic. Finally, the program will discuss risk factors for the development of SUD and other common drugs that are abused. It will also provide strategies to approach these patients, discuss the risk factors of the use of opioid analgesics in the development of SUD in adults and adolescence, and provide resources for family members.
Upon completion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Review the epidemiology, the patterns, and trends of the opioid epidemic and SUD in the US
- Discuss the social, financial, and human cost of the opioid epidemic, and SUD in the US
- Examine the role of dental professionals and healthcare providers in the current US opioid epidemic
- Discuss the risk factors of use of opioid analgesics in the department of SUDs in adults and adolescents
- Appraise the evidence-based management of dental pain
- Manage patients with active SUD and patients in recovery from SUD in need of dental treatment