Awards, Dental Hygiene, Students

Harmon Recipient of IADR BEHSR Outstanding Student Abstract Award

Jennifer Harmon, MS Dental Hygiene Education candidate 2015, was named the recipient of the International Association of Dental Research (IADR) Behavioral, Epidemiologic and Health Services Research (BEHSR) group Outstanding Student Abstract Award. Harmon’s abstract was entitled “Protective Effect of Circulating Omentin-1 against Chronic Temporomandibular Disorder Pain.”

“I am honored that my abstract was selected for this award,” said Harmon. “My thesis advisor, Dr. Sanders, has been tremendously dedicated to my research training and I wish to formally acknowledge her role and the support of all of my committee members in contributing to my research training.”

The award is presented annually by IADR to the student whose research abstract is judged as exceptional by a panel of reviewers in the behavioral sciences, epidemiology and health services research. As the 2015 recipient, Harmon was recognized at the IADR meeting, where she was presented a check and certificate by Group President Dr. Lisa Jamieson.

“Jennifer’s abstract was selected from a multidisciplinary and competitive international field,” said Dr. Anne Sanders, Harmon’s advisor. “Her findings from the OPPERA study and the Nackley laboratory contribute to our understanding of inflammatory mechanisms in temporomandibular disorder pain.”

Harmon is scheduled to graduate this May. Following her graduation she plans to become a dental hygiene educator in an accredited program and to consolidate her research training with future studies.