Dental Hygiene, Faculty and Staff, Scholarships

Sams Awarded ADEA/AAL Scholarship

Ms. Lattice Sams, clinical assistant professor in the Department of Dental Ecology, was recently selected as a recipient of the American Dental Education Association (ADEA)/Academy for Academic Leadership (AAL) Faculty of Color Tuition Scholarship for Professional Development. The honor allows her to attend the ADEA/AAL Institute for Teaching and Learning (ITL), which is considered the premier teacher-training program for academics.

As a scholarship winner, Sams was awarded the entire costs of the program – a $4,950 tuition. The program takes part in Atlanta, Ga. in two phases, both of which Sams will attend: one in August and the second in October. During her time at the ITL, she’ll interface with more than 60 colleagues as she refines her skills as an educator in multiple courses.

“I couldn’t be more excited about receiving this scholarship!” said Sams. “Several of my colleagues have shared with me how invaluable this program was for them as educators. I look forward to attending the sessions so that I may incorporate the concepts and techniques that I will learn into my teaching in the future.”

Sams joined the UNC faculty in 2012, following her time at Wake Technical Community College in Raleigh, N.C., where she’d served as a full-time instructor since 2009. Sams earned her bachelor’s degrees (2003) and her master’s in dental hygiene education (2009) from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She has worked as a dental hygienist in private practice since 2003. In her current role in Chapel Hill, her responsibilities include teaching the undergraduate dental hygiene students in the classroom and clinic.