Transylvania University has honored UNC-Chapel Hill School of Dentistry Dean John N. Williams and Lucy S. Williams, both Class of 1974 alumni, for outstanding service to the Kentucky university and its programs.
The Williamses received the Morrison Medallion at an awards ceremony during the university’s recent Alumni Weekend.
Both were recognized as the driving force behind establishing Transylvania’s Louisville alumni chapter in 1992. While Dean Williams served as the chapter’s first president, Mrs. Williams, a member of the Transylvania Women’s Club, embarked on a three-year term on the Alumni Executive Board. Dean Williams also established the Williams-Hardy Scholarship Fund in memory of his mother, Sarah Hardy Williams (Class of 1947), and his uncle, William P. Hardy (Class of 1939). Dean Williams, who completed a five-year term on the Board of Visitors in 2005, was elected to the Board of Trustees in 2007.
The Williamses received the Distinguished Service Award in 1999 in recognition of their many hours of service to their alma mater.
Transylvania was founded in 1780 and is consistently ranked in national publications as one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country.