Appointments, Faculty and Staff

Gardner Accepts Position at Washington & Lee University School of Law

Paul Gardner, Executive Director of the Dental Foundation since September 1998, has accepted the position of Director of External Relations at the Washington & Lee University School of Law.  Paul will officially start at Washington & Lee on September 12.

“I’ve been in Chapel Hill half my life and it is difficult to leave this town, University and School of Dentistry, all of which I love dearly,” Gardner said.  “For several years, my wife and I have talked about our desire to raise our two children in a smaller community, and Lexington, VA, is one of the communities we have always considered.  It has been a real pleasure working with Dean John Stamm, the faculty and staff, and countless alumni and friends of the School.  I wish Dr. John Williams continued success as he takes over the dean’s responsibilities.”

Paul, along with Kelly Almond and Jennie Boone (and earlier with Tina CoyneSmith), oversaw the planning and launching of the School’s Carolina First Campaign:  Building on Excellence that now stands at nearly $34 million, topping our goal of $30 million with two years remaining in the campaign.  More than 35 student aid funds and 11 faculty support funds were established or are currently being funded during the Building on Excellence Campaign.  At least two more faculty support funds are included in donors’ estate plans.  Another $2 million commitment was made for the proposed new building on the corner of Manning and Columbia Streets.