Dental Alumni Association
The UNCDAA participates in or sponsors a number of UNC School of Dentistry events. While each of these events may not occur every year, the UNCDAA helps to plan and implement them when they do occur.
- UNCDAA Annual Meeting (NCDS Annual Meeting) - The UNCDAA has several Board of Director meetings each year as well as an annual membership meeting that occurs during the NCDS Annual meeting. This provides an opportunity for all UNCDAA members to interact with school officials and UNCDAA Board members. Major association issues (dues/constitution and bylaws, elections, etc.) are addressed at the Annual meeting.
- NCDS Student-Mentor Reception - The UNCDAA is a primary sponsor of the Mentor reception at the NCDS meeting each year. Our enrolled students are invited to attend and share some time with their mentors.
- Commencement Reception - A reception is held for all UNC School of Dentistry graduates after the commencement proceedings. This is sponsored by the school, DFNC, and UNCDAA.
- ADA Reception - The school sponsors a reception at the ADA for UNC alumni and friends. This occurs more often when the ADA is in the eastern or middle area of the US.
- Hinman Reception - The UNC SOD is pleased to acknowledge the support of the Hinman Dental Society of Atlanta and to recognize the leadership of its trustees in promoting the highest standards in continuing education in dentistry. Every year, the Hinman Dental Society invites the graduating DDS class to attend its Spring meeting, where the UNC SOD hosts a reception in their honor.
- UNCDAA Board Meetings - Two UNCDAA Board of Director meetings are held each year, in the Fall and in the Spring. The business of the association is discussed and planned at these meeting.
- DDS and DH Orientation Program - The UNCDAA and DFNC provide beverages and snacks for the 1st-Year DDS class during their orientation ROPES course. In addition, UNCDAA and DFNC representatives meet with first-year dental hygiene students and discuss the role that the UNCDAA and DFNC play in supporting DH students.
- DDS Luncheon or Meeting (Decisions about Dentistry) - Periodically, the school sponsors a DDS (Decisions about Dental School) program at the school. This program focuses on providing information about the career opportunities and admissions process for potential applicants who are being encouraged by our alumni or friends.
- White Coat Ceremony - The White Coat Ceremony signifies the importance of professionalism and leadership as our students begin their patient care experiences.
- UNC Retired Faculty Luncheon - Each year the DFNC hosts retired faculty from the school for lunch in Chapel Hill with the DFNC Board of Directors. They are welcomed, thanked for their past service, and provided an update about the dental school.
- UNCDAA Scholarship Recognition Activity - Each year the UNCDAA awards several scholarships to Third-year dental students. All students are encouraged to apply and the finalists are interviewed by the UNCDAA Scholarship committee members.
- DDS Class Reunions - Each calendar year, those classes who are celebrating a 5-year cycle graduation date are invited to have a class reunion. The UNCDAA Central office assists in planning and implementing the reunions. The reunions are typically held on the same date with a general reception and individual class dinners.
- Spurgeon Awards Banquet - Each year the Spurgeon Society (dental school student government) sponsors an award ceremony at which both students and faculty are recognized for their efforts and successes. The UNCAA helps to finance this event.
- Dental Research and Review Day - The UNCDAA provides financial support to this event which provides an entire day devoted to research reports by both faculty and students. Table clinic awards are provided to the students by the UNCDAA.
- Fall Football Weekend - The UNCDAA sponsors a Football weekend event, inviting our alumni and friends to both a BBQ and a home football game.